Hello! How Are You?

ANDREW ALLEN IS DISTRACTED

My photo
Brighton, UK, United Kingdom
Andrew is a Brighton based writer and director. He also acts (BEST ACTOR, Brighton And Hove AC for 'Art'), does occasional stand-up, & runs improv workshops every Sunday. This blog can be delivered to your Kindle: By subscribing via this link here -or you can carry on reading it here for free ..

Tuesday 1 January 2013

One Day Down, 364 To Go ..

So, how has 2013 been for you so far? I imagine for most of us, it is pretty much like 2012 was last week, just with slightly less turkey leftovers. Of course, there will be a small minority of you who suddenly and unexpectedly found someone to kiss when it hit midnight, and of those few, there will be at least a couple who have woken up this morning, the first morning of a new year, with someone strange in their bed. Well, start the year as you mean to go on.

For my part, when the clock struck twelve, I found myself on stage. I was at the NVT NYE party, and there was all manner of entertainments going on; song, comedy, etc. When they chose the person to lead in the countdown to New Years, to whip the crowd into some kind of joyous, expectant frenzy, they somehow ended up with me. I will never quite be able to understand their logic in that choice. Presumably Jools Holland was busy. I'm hardly the most cheerful or charismatic boy (or girl) in the theatre - hell, even in the postcode, so I can only assume they were going for a last days of Waco kind of vibe. I myself was incredibly nervous before I did my piece. A lot of this was because its reasonably rare to do a set where it's quite so important that you don't overrun (and, indeed, have audience members continually telling you just how much time you've got left), but the major reason I was nervous was that, even five minutes before I was due to go up, I still wasn't entirely sure what I was going to say. Like a drowning man about to go down for the third time, I tried to warn as many people as I could about my predicament, hoping that they could give me some last minute pointers as to something that I could chat about. But each of them, without exception, said something along the lines of You'll be fine; it's what you do: improvisation. Such faith is unnerving; particularly as the longer I do improvisation, the more I discover that there is so much more to learn about it.

All of this should come in some kind of use from this weekend. On Sunday, I have the short form improv classes starting again at the Duke Box Theatre in Hove, and on Monday, I've got the first in a very short series of long form improvisation classes, by way of prep for a long form show I've got coming up in the Festival Fringe. Doubtless more details will emerge about that as we go along.

It's difficult to know how I feel about this upcoming year. Just because of an arbitrary date, there's so much pressure to feel positive and full of hope, clearing the decks for a much more productive year, be it creatively, job wise, romantically, or just eating more fruit and veg. But then real life gets in the way, and if you're not already in a situation where you're able to tick all those boxes, it's easy to get ground down to powder. Over the holiday season, I was struck by the amount of status updates I read that said something along the lines of 'best wishes to everyone who gets to share today with others', the barely veiled inference being, of course, that the author of that update was themselves alone. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about those updates. The usual reaction would be to rail against them, to assume that they're bitter cries for attention, but there's so much nuance and subtlety that can be lost when updating your status. So, I think I've decided to assume that these people are being sincere, and that they're actually wishing well to people who they perceive are better off than them.

It's not a bad way to be, really. We spend so much time and energy, it seems, in being jealous about what other people have, the breaks, money, time, sex and good fortune that everyone else seems to get, that its exhausting. And of course, here's the kicker: nobody really cares if you're jealous of their good fortune. Why would they be? If you're right, they're too busy having a great time. Much better then, much happier, and much healthier to simply wish them well. And then maybe we'll all feel a bit better. Jealously is a severely overrated emotion.

And as for the people who aren't doing quite so well, who, however improbably, seem to be jealous of us? Well, maybe we can start being nice to them, include them more. Look, the good vibe created by the new year celebrations is going to last three more days, tops. Maybe only until tonight, really. After that, it's all down to us.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment