Hello! How Are You?

ANDREW ALLEN IS DISTRACTED

My photo
Brighton, UK, United Kingdom
Andrew is a Brighton based writer and director. He also acts (BEST ACTOR, Brighton And Hove AC for 'Art'), does occasional stand-up, & runs improv workshops every Sunday. This blog can be delivered to your Kindle: By subscribing via this link here -or you can carry on reading it here for free ..

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Tuesday 27th August 2013

I had intended to go along to Brighton’s SeaLife Centre today. I have an annual pass as a local resident, and it’s nice to pop in there occasionally whenever the mood takes me, without having to fork out any extra cash (the money you pay for the annual pass is roughly the same as two ‘walk-up’ ticket prices, which means that if you’re a local resident, it may well be worth your while just paying the extra for the pass in the first place when you’re buying that ticket).

I love the SeaLife Centre, and love the fact that it’s practically at the end of my road. The curators (or owners, or management team, or whatever they are) have done a really good job of creating a genuinely other-world feeling place, and some of the fish are really jaw-dropping. I’d recommend it to anyone. I do have vague memories of going there as a kid, long before I actually moved to Brighton – long before, in fact, it had ever occurred to me that I might live here – but I’m not sure. The dolphins were moved out in the seventies since it wasn’t exactly humane (humane? Is that the word when you’re talking about animals?) to have performing dolphins in what is essentially a confined space. The sharks are still there, though, although we’re assured that they’re not man-eaters. I don’t know how often they test that theory.

I’m reminded that I set the finale scene of my novel on the rooftop of a fictionalised version of the SealLife Centre in the novel that I wrote last year. Yeah, I know, a novel. A whole one. OK, well, a short one, and it was one that was hacked out in a month, as part of 2012’s Nanowrimo, but still, there was a fair amount of it that I quite liked. Don’t get me wrong, most of it was fairly dreck (it was hacked out in thirty days, after all, and it’s not like I actually wrote for every single one of those thirty days), but there was a reasonable amount that might one day be salvageable for some kind of pulpy kindle-friendly novella. In fact, the only problem I had with it, even more than the admittedly haphazard plotting, was how Mary-Sue the main character was. Added to that, I couldn’t quite decide if my main character being a bit of a Mary-Sue was actually a problem, since this was a deliberately dime-store style pulp novel, and as such, the lead is traditionally all of the above and more: beautiful, intelligent, witty and kick-ass.

Another look at the manuscript would tell me if I’ve just created a wish-fulfilment woman, or if she’s a decent character in her own right. At least, it would if I could find the damn thing. But I can’t. It’s vanished, all fifty thousand (and plus) words of it. I’ve gone through a laptop since then, which simply stopped working, but I don’t think it’s there. What I do have is a couple of external hard drives. Not just USB memory sticks, but heavy, bigger than iphone, external hard drives. These, also, have stopped working altogether. They are now not so much use as somewhere to store works in progress, but reasonably unattractive paperweights. I will need to start emailing myself everything I write (because I don’t do that enough yet) in order to insure myself against any more potential losses.
In the end, I couldn’t get into the SeaLife Centre, because it seems that my annual pass expired. About three weeks ago. I’m not entirely convinced by this, because I’m sure that I renewed the pass in March (‘March this year?’ the otherwise helpful chap at the desk asked. Yes, March this year). It’s going to take me a while to check my bank statements for earlier in the year, but knowing my luck, I’ll have got things wrong, and I’ve somehow managed to black out for eleven months, not realising that time has passed me by.

That kind of thing is always happening to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment