Hello! How Are You?

ANDREW ALLEN IS DISTRACTED

My photo
Brighton, UK, United Kingdom
Andrew is a Brighton based writer and director. He also acts (BEST ACTOR, Brighton And Hove AC for 'Art'), does occasional stand-up, & runs improv workshops every Sunday. This blog can be delivered to your Kindle: By subscribing via this link here -or you can carry on reading it here for free ..

Tuesday 12 June 2012

Fairly lengthy rehearsal for Medea last night, but then again, at the moment, they're all lengthy. Actually, that's almost a lie, since I'm pretty sure we were able to let the cast go by half past ten, although a few of us had to work on various bits for several hours afterward.

We're in the last few days - literally, about three - before audience members get into the space. There's a genuine, palpable sense of a show about to happen. Of course, it's always like this: you're perfectly aware over the course of a number of weeks of rehearsal that the end result is an actual show, but it takes being in the space, with the lights, the costumes, and of course the dry mouthed panic, to really hit the terrifying fact home: the show is about to start.

Another odd thing that kicks in around this time is that lots of things start to make sense. Not that they didn't before - of course you always know what you're doing (or at the very least are able to fake a reasonable approximation), but suddenly, when the entire play is able to run with the minimum of interruption, when actors are genuinely able to react and respond to each other, you begin to find whole new levels of meaning and narrative thrust. (I'll be honest; I'm not entirely sure what I meant by 'narrative thrust', I just needed some way to end that last sentence after saying 'and'. , and 'narrative thrust' was the first phrase that occurred to me.

In short, it all feels in good health. Of course, as director, as actor - in whatever capacity you serve in on a production, you panic somewhat as your creation begins to exist outside your influences (and interference), and it's true I couldn't quite get everything I wanted in the show, because of basic things like time, money, and the very real possibility that my ideas were deranged. But I'm confident we have a really special show coming up. I just hope I don't fall asleep when it's on.

By the way, tickets for the entire run sold out this week, but we've managed to add extra seats for each performance - some nights are already back down to just 2 or 1 tickets. As far as I'm aware, once these tickets are sold, there'll be no more seats released. Once you see our set, you'll understand why. Anyway, you can book your tickets via this link here: http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/newventuretheatre

No comments:

Post a Comment