Hello! How Are You?

ANDREW ALLEN IS DISTRACTED

My photo
Brighton, UK, United Kingdom
Andrew is a Brighton based writer and director. He also acts (BEST ACTOR, Brighton And Hove AC for 'Art'), does occasional stand-up, & runs improv workshops every Sunday. This blog can be delivered to your Kindle: By subscribing via this link here -or you can carry on reading it here for free ..

Friday 21 December 2012

And I Feel Fine

So, the world didn't end today. Not as far as I know, in any case. Maybe it did. To be honest, I haven't had a chance to catch up with any news transmissions all day. It hasn't come up in my twitter feed, anyway.

What did end for me today was work, at least for the rest of the year. Sincere apologies for those of you reading who still have to work, especially as - if indeed you are working over the season - that probably means that you're having to deal with members of the public who are, as we are all painfully aware, almost entirely morons. The public generally don't see those that serve them as any way human. And even when they do, it is in some weird, fragmented way. When I used to work in a pub (OK, a Wetherspooons), a bloke used to greet me on Friday afternoons with the phrase 'I bet you're glad it's the weekend, eh?', hoping that I would be able to share in his recently attained glee at being released from the office shackles. He seemingly was never able to comprehend that Friday afternoon, for me, was like his version of Monday morning. The only difference being that I also had the Monday morning experience on, well, Monday morning as well.

Christmas in Brighton really kicks in tonight, with the Burning Of The Clocks, an annual event which be somewhat elegantly explained by its title. Local kids make paper mâché clocks that they carry through the streets of Brighton, lit from within. It all ends with a bonfire. It's all quite magical and lovely, although I suspect the effect is heightened if you have kids with you (not to throw on the bonfire). I have no idea who else is going to be there, but I'm hoping to brave the cold later and cheer the crowds on.

I've only watched a couple of Christmas themed movies so far: Scrooged, and Elf. I might be saving It's A Wonderful Life for closer to the day itself. Either that, or Gremlins.

No comments:

Post a Comment