Hello! How Are You?

ANDREW ALLEN IS DISTRACTED

My photo
Brighton, UK, United Kingdom
Andrew is a Brighton based writer and director. He also acts (BEST ACTOR, Brighton And Hove AC for 'Art'), does occasional stand-up, & runs improv workshops every Sunday. This blog can be delivered to your Kindle: By subscribing via this link here -or you can carry on reading it here for free ..

Sunday 1 June 2014

Saturday 31 May 2014

There's about five weeks left before our production of Twelfth Night, which will be an open-air performance, and acted by young actors. I've been working on it, off and on, after the last couple of months, but it's only now - now that the Brighton Fringe is over - that I've been able to attack it with all guns blazing. The cast have had distractions of their own - exams, and the like - but they've been doing extraordinarily well, what with all their line learning, and discovering rich characterisations quite outside of any interfering directing that I might throw at them. 

Something at today's rehearsal wasn't quite working though, and I couldn't quite how to fix it. As I said, it will be an open air performance, within some walled gardens. The audience will sit in the middle of the space, and all the scenes will take place 360 degrees around them, meaning that the audience will have to do a bit of shifting around each time a new scene begins. It's certainly a bit different from a traditional 'end-on' performance. But something today wasn't making that work. The actors couldn't quite stop themselves facing each other when their characters were speaking to each other, meaning that the audience were getting a lot of back, which meant that the voices were getting lost - being outside, there's no wall for the sound to bounce off, and anyway, there's traffic from a nearby road vying for your attention to. 

When I realised what I had to do, it was just annoying that I hadn't thought of the solution in the first place. It - obviously - has to be a promenade performance. If I'm going to make the audience have to shift around anyway, I might as well make the most of it. With a promenade performance, I can get the audience to really enjoy the space we're in, and have a very unique experience - everyone genuinely seeing the show from a different angle. Once we started rehearsing it that way, with the actors able to constantly change where they were directing their performance toward, the entire thing lifted several degrees. 

Not only should I have spotted this somewhat obvious fix weeks ago, I REALLY should have spotted this fix weeks ago, since I've spent the last few months actually being in a promenade performance myself. I hadn't made the connection between the two, despite the fact that their Venn Diagrams were pretty much overlapping. It's a useful skill to keep developing - that whatever you're reading / watching / doing in your life, can be directly translated into something else you're reading / watching doing, even if the connective tissue isn't that obvious. That feels like something I could write an entire thesis on, but frankly, I'm not feeling quite intelligent enough to do that just at the moment. 

Sometimes the obvious fix is found by examining what the problem actually is. When directing Four Play, there was a problem when two characters had to drag a body off stage. The actor playing the corpse was a fairly tall lad, and wasn't the sort of boy you could simply sling over your shoulder. I'd written in some dialouge to cover, so it wasn't just two women dragging a body across stage in silence. But it still wasn't working, and we were opening the following night. We'd tried everything, a fireman's life, the actor trying to 'help' the girls - but it all looked awful. There seemed to be no way to get the body from one end of the stage to the exit door. It took me ages to work out that there was absolutely no reason why the character couldn't die at the door, thereby negating any need for fireman's lifts. Problem solved. 

I'm an idiot sometimes. But I think I'm an intelligent idiot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment